Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Good Gravy, Good Gavi!

A few weeks ago I tried a Gavi wine made from the Cortese grape grown in Piedmont, Italy. Over the weekend I had another Gavi made by a different wine maker to try a different take on Gavi.

My second bottle of Gavi was the 2003 Broglia Gavi La Meirana. The biggest difference between these two bottles of Gavi was that the first was had a fizzy, "frizzante" bubbliness to it and the second did not. Another difference was that the second wine's flavor made it more of a distinct wine for me. Usually all whites seem like Sauvignon blanc or Chardonnay to me, but this wine made me feel like there is a definite different kind of white wine. I like trying new wines and it's really cool when I find one that tastes different, adding to the variety of wines I can enjoy.

As I said in my other post, the Gavi region of the Piedmont is in the Southern portion near the Mediterranean Sea. The earliest recorded history of wine in Gavi has to do with a bishop selling church land to farmers for vineyards in the Meirana area. In the early 1970's, Bruno Broglia bought some of the same property and founded Broglia, now one of Gavi's leading wineries. (For a great article on the Gavi wine area see this article on Dolce Tours.)

I had the wine with some fried chicken, mashed potatoes and homemade gravy. We were celebrating my oldest son's birthday in a family get together over the weekend. Most of my family is not much into wine but I was able to share the Gavi with my sister. We both liked the flavor of the wine and felt it went well with the fried chicken. This is probably not the way Mr. Broglia meant for his wine to be served, but it works for me!


Tasting Notes



2003 Broglia Gavi La Meirana ($18.99 at BevMo)

Color: Golden yellow, almost like a light beer

Aroma: Honey, grapefruit

Taste: Light mouth feel with a slight mineral flavor, a little heat, and a flavor I can't place (some reviews I read reported tasting almond)

Finish: Slight grapefruit

(Gary Vaynerchuk reviewed this wine on his epic outdoor summer tasting episode # 265)

No comments:

Click to Watch WLTV

The latest wine library TV

Changing the wine world.